The RequirementsTo meet the basic qualification for this role you must have legal authorization to work permanently in the United States for any employer without requiring a visa transfer or visa sponsorship. To be a good fit for the role of Cost Accountant, you also should have:
- A bachelor's degree in Accounting or Finance, or the equivalent combination of education and experience; a CMA is a plus.
- 3-5 years of cost accounting experience in a manufacturing environment.
- Solid knowledge of US Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP); strong general accounting skills and experience.
- Outstanding analytical skills; the ability to read and interpret data and effectively communicate meaningful trends and cost issues.
- Experience with costing, inventory, and manufacturing variance reporting.
- Clear understanding of manufacturing processes.
- Advanced Excel skills including experience with large spreadsheets, databases, arrays, VLOOKUP, pivot tables, formulas, etc.; experience with macros is a plus; proficiency with other Microsoft Office programs.
- ERP experience, SAP highly preferred.
- Strong interpersonal skills to build effective workplace relationships.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills in English; bilingual German is a plus.
- Ability to interact effectively with all levels of internal staff and external staff, clients and vendors.
- Self-motivation, initiative and drive; the ability to work independently and as a member of a team.
- The drive and desire to learn and continue to develop your skills.
- A deadline-driven, results-oriented mindset.
- A strong work ethic, honesty, integrity, and confidentiality.
- Patience and flexibility.
The RoleReporting directly to the CFO, as Cost Accountant, you will join a long-tenured accounting team of five individuals, including your supervisor, AR, AP, and Staff Accountants. You will serve as our sole cost accountant and be responsible for providing the source data and analysis required to manage out business strategically and tactically to maximize profitability. Your high reaching mission will be to improve profitability through your efforts. We have metrics running currently which you will learn, take over and monitor in order to gather data, analyze trends and make recommendations for improvements which will increase efficiency and revenue. You will be responsible for a significant amount of data.
Additionally, you will:
- Assist the CFO with forecasting, budgeting and business plan exercises.
- Provide accurate reporting of inventory and cost of goods sold.
- Process, consolidate and validate weekly, monthly, quarterly and annual group financial statement reports (e.g. P&L, balance sheets, cash flows, etc.).
- Management month and year-end closing responsibilities.
- Work with cross-functional teams to improve KPIs.
- Monitor, improve and develop company financial and operation performance indicators.
- Perform gap analysis, volume and mix by products, customers, and product lines.
- Work with the production manager and other leaders to identify areas to manage and reduce costs and implement process improvements.
- Ensure adequate and efficient usage of our ERP across departments; you will be the key SAP user for Finance.
- Monitor operational performance and ensure key players are committed to their spend.
- Make data-driven recommendations for improvements.
- Provide ad hoc analyses.
- Interact with teams overseas, primarily in Germany.
- Do what it takes to meet deadlines and responsibilities. While most weeks are 40 to 45 hours, month end demands are typically higher.
More Good ReasonsBroad exposure and impact
Because we are a smaller organization (120 in the Auburn plant), you will be in a position to make a big impact. You’ll have a good deal of control over shaping our processes, driving positive change and putting your fingerprints on the organization in a meaningful way. Your successes will be noticed locally and within the larger organization.
Autonomy and support
You’ll be in the enviable position of working for a CFO who is dedicated and passionate about what she does, but who also expects those who work for her to take ownership of their roles and drive success. She, along with other members of the Accounting team, will provide the tools and training necessary to set you up for success, and then allow you the autonomy needed to own your role and excel. Of course, when you need support, you need only ask.
While this role is US based and focused, ours is a global company and you'll have strong exposure to other teams. For example, you will work with our German colleagues. Of course, even within our US office, there is a strong international contingent, so you’ll get experiences that you normally wouldn't when working for a strictly national organization.
Naturally, you will bring a good deal of knowledge and experience with you, but chances are there are aspects of this role that will be new to you. From the way our processes work to our products to our international teams, you will find opportunities to stretch and grow your skills and knowledge.
HYDRO has doubled our business over the past five years and we continue to evolve. A third of HYDROs global workforce is involved in research and development, and we're constantly looking at new products, applications and markets.
Globally HYDRO offers over 3,000 ground support equipment (GSE) products including aircraft towbars and tripod jacks, and well over 30,000 tools. Not only do we provide standard products for most aircraft types, but our strength is designing customer-specific system solutions. And all our solutions are backed by exceptional customer service.
In addition to a competitive salary, we offer comprehensive benefits including medical, dental & life insurances, a 401(k) plan, generous paid time off and more.
Keys to SuccessThe Cost Accountant position can be a career-shaping role when an independent professional with strong initiative, self-motivation and the ability to spot cost savings and improvement opportunities is at the helm. To excel in the role, you will be adept at effectively interacting with a variety of internal and external stakeholders, fully conveying information to each audience -- not always using finance and accounting speak -- and helping teams across functions increase revenue.
In the area of analysis, we're not simply looking for a data jockey to manage large spreadsheets and run reports, or a bean counter who only focuses on the bottom line. We're seeking a thinker who understands data and can leverage it to drive the business in the right direction. Persistence and patience will be key ingredients in driving positive outcomes.
In addition, to succeed at HYDRO and within the Accounting team, you will need excellent interpersonal skills and the ability to build productive professional relationships. This isn't a role where you will work in a silo, but one where you will constantly interact with others in the plant and across the sea.
Pictured: HYDRO Systems U.S.A. plant Auburn, WA.